Sunday, April 12, 2009

In the name of God!

On Thursday night, I had a 'Jaago India Jaago' moment. And yes, before that, I should confess I have temper problems. And in that given moment, I can speak exactly what I want to speak. Yes it is a talent, thank you.

So I had as usual gone with my parents to the Sai Baba temple, our official Thursday visit to Sai Baba. And after the arti, I carefully edged my way with Ma for the deeya. The people, who had very peacefully been clapping and singing the hymns since the past half an hour, suddenly had a train to catch. They leapt towards the deeya all together, and I rued the fact that I had moved quite a bit ahead with a very frail Ma beside me. Now I couldn’t back out and I was scared that she would get hurt by the hurtling bodies in front of us and also those pouncing from the back. Had these guys been praying for brute strength to Sai Baba, I wondered…

Eventually, we joined the line for Prasad, and again, covering the ground around Ma was important. And just as luck would have it, people insisted on passing from between me and her. I let a few go and then decided it was enough. An insignificant 50 year old woman and her entire family tried to edge around me and pass from the between, saying, "Zara dekhe to..Zara jaane do ek minute.." And I told her it wasn't a bridge and infact the line was so small, she could just go behind to reach the other side. Breaking it from between was not that essential. And to my surprise, instead of being guilty of doing that, out of the entire family, it was just that woman who turned, ready for a typical Delhi aunty fight.

"What do you think? You young girl can tell me what to do? Mannerless generation of kids! Badtameez hai, mujhe sikhaogi…" I was surprised at how spiritually developed she was. I kept showing her a hand to lower her volume but when she realized I wasn't up for a shrieking quarrel, she pitched her volume a few decibels more!

That's when I lost it. I said a mental 'sorry' to Baba and began, "You fifty something woman, I don't need to learn tameez from such a badtameez oldie. And my mother has had an operation, hence I asked you not to push around. Do you understand that or are you too dumb to understand what a temple stands for? So much for your bhakti!"

Her husband was approaching me with a very menacing look, but froze mid way when I started speaking. He came and ended up saying, "Beta beta, ab rehne do…"

The people in the temple by now had made the woman go outside (who went on doing kai kai kai..) and had come to me and requested me to be quiet. The panditji came and smiled and said, "Beta, aap toh samajhte ho..Aap shant ho jao." And I immediately became quiet.

This is what happens when you ask an average person in India to follow some basic unsaid rules, that too in a temple. An auntyish woman, who sang bhakti ke gaane with such dedication, cannot follow some basic humanitarian rules. And then they call themselves spiritual, all in the name of God. The same God, whose curtains were now closed, as he was put to sleep by our Goodnight prayers. This lady didn't even blink an eye before shrieking like crazy inside the temple. Where was her God now? Or had she forgotten what she was here for? The bigger purpose? All lost in the triviality of breaking a line…

I have no shame in saying I don't respect such elders, for their age or for anything you might say. We, as the next generation kids are way better than these stubborn mules who flaunt something they dont have. We are atleast real and honest. And probably more spiritually developed. Atleast I am.

India can never progress if the Indians cant maintain common etiquettes, and I mean everywhere, not just in temples.. If Indians cant give two minutes to keep a line or respect a weak human being amongst them, then India simply cant..

And that angers me…

7 comments:

Ria said...

Proud of u Klu!

That's the spirit of our generation! keep the flame burning!

marvin the paranoid android said...

nice nice..

and as far as india is concerned, she WAS india. and YOU are what india IS. just remember that...

Mrinalini said...

@Marvin
aye aye sir! i shall remember that n keep up the good job forever :)

@Klu
Yes Klu, it was a very frustratin episode, but I you gotta do what you gotta do B-D

Piya said...

I'm so glad you lost your cool :-) daft woman thought she could scare you with her screaming. Good you shut her and her husband up.
muaah

sanely insane said...

went wid mom n pop to vrindavan a month or so back...

and the scene u jst described was exactly what i found in the baanke bihari mandir...

i dont understand how by getting a peek at the black stone or eating sweets touched by it...makes ppl believe that they have been purified or will have the lords blessing

religion is in the heart...it is a matter of peace and concern for others...religion and bhakti has become jst another form of cult tourism...

the iskon temple was nicer that way...less crowded...people chanting and singing...a lil bit of jostling not much...was more like a religious concert :)

-the sanely insane
(the erstwhile mysitque wanderer)

Ricky said...

Living in Delhi its not too uncommon to encounter such Aunties/Uncles. What I find more annoying is the moral compass these people carry when they try to put you down, like in your case telling you "...You young girl can tell me what to do? Mannerless generation of kids!". Good on you to reply her with the same coin.

Suma said...

I had similar experience in Prashanti Nilaya. I was 7 month pregnant and people were pushing each other to Diwali crackers. I screamed...but people continued to do what they wanted. So much for Bhakti...

 

Copyright 2009 The Pretty Four All rights reserved. Banner Design by tiffinbox.