Monday, August 25, 2008

Does being happy mean being gay?

My life has been going a little hectic. Between some stupid assignments at work that take up my time but don’t add to my sense of knowledge, I have no time left for anything. Life is so dreary that I save movies on the pen drive and watch them at home! Yes, tsk tsk at your leisure…

The other day, somebody told me the love I share for Anjali, Nandu, Pia and Niharika is almost gay. The way I can hold their hand and talk about something very intense, the way we just talk amongst ourselves and how people around us seem to belong to some alien land at that point of time, is all very mushy, in urbane lingo, very gay!

While I did not bother to explain my stand on this, I was forced to think…Taking myself back a few months, I realized I was in the ‘somebody’s’ place asking the same question. And after some thinking, I know now what I share with my girls…

A best friend of sorts (I say so because, this tag doesn’t go down too well with the men in my life!) who we will refer to as “Unlinking Park” (don’t ask why, it’s a touchy topic) from hereon, has a friend. A best buddy, a chad budd (translate in Hindi to get effect) by the name of “Casanova” (name again changed though the monicker is self explanatory). They both are so close, that even a person like me needs to think otherwise.

On a day out at Casanova’s place, we were all watching Star Wars the movie and generally lazing around. All cig-addicts, we finished rounds of fags with ease. So, the time came when one had to go and get some more. Funnily, when Unlinkin Park didn’t feel like going, he would vote Casanova to go get them and would recount all those times when he had run that particular errand and then vice versa. The fact that two guys almost emotionally blackmailed each other to get ciggies in the scorching sun was a little too much. Since when do men have that trait? Then I thought of Dharam paji’s suicidal scene in Sholay and knew better!

Another evening, all the guys were playing football. While I am a self declared tomboy, my guy friends preferred to give me their wallets and mobile phones instead and kept me sitting on a bench. During the game it started to rain, and the guys started to have muddy fun. And suddenly all of them started roaring with laughter because Unlinkin Park had tussled with Casanova (who already had his tees off) with the ball and had downed his jeans, revealing his Hilfiger undies. Everyone had a good laugh at the cost of poor Casanova’s almost nude state in the middle of a residential park with arc lights! But Alert alert, my mind flashed with alarm…When all of them thought it to be plain ol’ raggin and jest, somewhere could there have been a different sexual message, a gay thing going on, very subtly??

Casanova brought a date home, and Unlinkin Park was already there, burning a cd of songs from Casa’s computer without even informing him that he would be coming! Infact, he was there before them! So Casanova spent an evening (otherwise meant to be spent in a more cuddlesome with his date) talking about good ol’ days when they were kids with his best friend and a confused looking date who could not believe she had been invited to his home for this!

On Unlinkin Parkin’s birthday, at ffad, they both danced like we weren’t there. Really. Though the former is not much of a dancer, Casanova only shows his moves when the ladies are around. He doesn’t get the name just like that! So, when suddenly after 12, the only person who could drag Unlinkin Park to the floor was Casa, it was sweet and hootable, but also very very fishy.

I think I was spending hours thinking about just them! God! How lame could my life be, but well, you cant always pretend to be busy, sometimes, you have to be plain vella! And what bothered me the most was the fact that they were both very close to me. What if one was gay and the other wasn’t? What if those two decided to confide in me one fine day? What if I was imagining stuff and in reality, they were simply buddies??

On a Saturday at a pub in GK2, we all were merry and those two were as usual at it. One had been thrown out of school, and the other had soon followed. One played cricket and one played tennis. And the stories went on and on. I was deep in my vodka and thoughts…What is it that those two saw in each other?

And just as abruptly, Unlinkin Park as if in a confession box, drawled to me, “You know what Mrinalini, you are not like them. You know those girls I see in Gk? Fair skin, brown dyed hair, designer clothes, them all? They look like 10,000 clones shopping! I like you. I think I do. What do you say Casanova? You approve buddy?”

And Casanova (who is the less weirder and more smoother of the two) says, “I always told you, go for her! Always, you shy pig! You are a late latif but Mrinalini knows that. You two make a good pair!”

And while I searched for my voice to come back, to be able to digest what I’d just heard, none of them waited for me to respond, they simply hugged. One in the other’s joy!

While I wont divulge whether I agreed or not, I will tell you this. They were surely not gay. They were just in love with each other. The bond that is mushy but not romantic. Friends forever.

And while the third person (me in this case) can sometimes feel bewildered at what one sees, the truth is not for you to see all the time. Sometimes you don’t get it, but there lies the charm of the relationship…


4 comments:

rain girl said...

mmuuahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!
oh u really helped me here, u know that ? :P

and heeh very bizaare exp btw.. :P

Mrinalini said...

I did? hahahahaha :D tell me how...
Its true, every bit hun...

Anjali said...

well said :)

it sums up friendship...

and lol@ the title ;-)

Nandini said...

Mrinu, you give such delightful insights :)

 

Copyright 2009 The Pretty Four All rights reserved. Banner Design by tiffinbox.